Thursday, February 20, 2014

Oh, the PLACES I’ve Been! #44–San Francisco Cable Cars

SanFrancisco cover-1_-1
I’ve just returned from a wonderful trip to San Francisco with my daughter to celebrate her 16th birthday!



SanFrancisco 035

One of the most iconic symbols of San Francisco is the Cable Car.
SanFrancisco 044
It’s the world’s last manually operated cable car system.
SanFrancisco 038
In the late 1800s there were 23 different cable car lines.
SanFrancisco 058
Today there are only two.
SanFrancisco 088
The Powell and Hyde Street line ends at Fisherman’s Wharf…
SanFrancisco 100
…with amazing scenery, including the Golden Gate Bridge.
SanFrancisco 123
The cable cars are manually turned around on a turntable.
cable car circled
The two gentlemen (in the blue circles) are about the manually turn the cable car around so it can go in the opposite direction.
SanFrancisco 103

SanFrancisco 106

SanFrancisco 053
Each cable car is pulled along it's hilly track by an underground cable. The cable is gripped with a vise-like mechanism that is operated via the grip lever in the front of the car. The driver is called the Gripman.
SanFrancisco 059
The turns really can be sharp so you need to hold on!
We had a blast. Much more of San Francisco to come!


- The Tablescaper

18 comments:

Laura said...

What a wonderful trip for you and your daughter!
San Francisco is on my bucket list.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Betty Young said...

I love San Francisco. My husband and I have spent many wonderful days and evenings seeing the wonderful sights. Thanks for the memories...
Betty @ My Cozy Corner

Michele {Malaysian Meanders} said...

I visited San Francisco when I was your daughter's age, and it's one of my favorite childhood travel memories. I still remember seeing them turn the cable cars around. In Malaysia which is used to be a British colony, shopping carts are called trolleys. I was just telling my girl that Americans think of trolleys as cable cars. I'll have to show her these photos.

Sarah said...

Alma, San Francisco is one of my favorite cities, though it's been many years since my last visit. Glad you and your daughter had an opportunity to visit. Love riding the cable cars!

Blondie's Journal said...

I bet you had a wonderful time! I've never been but I would love to go. I know zip about cable cars so this was very interesting! I'm surprised they still let people stand and hang out the doors like this considering what a liability it must be. Fun though! :)

XO,
Jane

Mary @ The World Is A Book said...

One of my favorite things about SF are the cable cars. Love riding in them.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

That was very interesting. I've always wanted to visit San Francisco, but up until now, I've only run through the airport!

eileeninmd said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you daughter. San Francisco is a wonderful city to visit.

Jill Harrison said...

when I saw your post I couldn't help singing to myself that old song "San Francisco" sung by Judy Garland I think. So I looked it up on the web and there are lots of songs about San Francsico! Thanks for taking us there!
Have a great weekend.

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh how fun I have never been to San Francisco

Chandy said...

Love SF, CA! Glad you enjoyed it!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities. Looks like you had great weather. Happy birthday to your daughter -- what a great trip for mother and daughter!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

San Francisco is one of my favorite places to visit! What a great birthday gift for your daughter. I enjoyed all the details with the pictures.

My post is not near as impressive as SF, but we enjoyed it too!

Thanks for hosting.

Katherine

Fun60 said...

Thanks for sharing your trip. One day I hope to follow in your footsteps and explore the city for myself.

Bernideen said...

Yes - I have done this is San Fran - such great fun!

Art and Sand said...

San Francisco is always wonderful. My daughter just moved back to town from San Francisco so we don't have an excuse to visit so frequently.

One of the things my daughter missed this Christmas was the annual Cable Car Christmas Caroling that one of her friends organized. Locals don't ride the cars much, but just before Christmas a large group of friends gathered to ride the cable car together and sing Christmas Carols along the way. I think that is the cutest tradition.

Kathleen said...

Glad you had a wonderful time! Great way to celebate a birthday.

Lady of the Manor said...

Cable cars are so romantic! Great party!